Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Never Take Anything for Granted

This past summer I had the opportunity to play Adapted Basketball with those who aren't as fortunate as I am and are paraplegics or are suffering from medical conditions and disorders that don’t allow them to use their legs. You may not believe it, but Cedar Valley has an Adapted Basketball team that competes locally and has participated in the Special Olympics and other individuals, who only play recreationally. I had the opportunity to play with one of the teams this summer while I was taking summer classes and participating in team workouts. This was my second time playing, as I played a few years ago.

            My first time, it was very difficult to stay in the wheelchair and learn how to be an effective player using what I already knew. I thought it was hard to be in a wheelchair and play basketball. It allowed me to see what it is like in their shoes and learn what they go through every day. I have never been in a wheelchair before.

                      

 Doing this was an eye opener for me and put a lot of smiles on their faces. Here is a quote that I enjoy: “Let your smile change the world, don’t let the world change your smile”- Author Unknown.

             For me personally playing adopted basketball in a wheelchair isn’t easy at all. I still thought it was difficult even though I have played before. I had to try and find a wheel chair that was big enough for me and allowed my legs to sit comfortably. Almost everyone that I played with had a custom fit wheel chair specifically made to play basketball. Many athletes think sports other than their own are easy, until they actually play and realize what it takes to be good and competitive at the sport they are trying out. I never considered Adopted Basketball to be an easy sport. I admire them and it makes me realize how much I am blessed every day to have all my limbs and the capability to use them, because one day they could just be gone or taken away. So I thank GOD every day for blessing me to have everything I have and the ability to play this game I LOVE called basketball.

Below are some rules and explanation of how I was told the game goes.

            First, you have to be able to move fast in your wheelchair and change speeds just as you would in regular basketball, but you can’t use your legs so it’s totally different. Second, you can only dribble twice and or roll your wheels twice before both shooting and passing. This ensures that everyone gets participates in the game, as it’s more of a team effort. Next, no matter how big or small you are, you can be flipped out of your chair. It is advised that you wear your seatbelt so if this does happen, there won’t be as many injuries. Finally, just have fun and compete just as you would in regular basketball because they play to win and compete hard every single play. The same is true for them as it is for me when I play out on the court.

            I enjoyed my time playing with these individuals and I would definitely do it again. Although they can’t play basketball the same way I do and despite our differences, we share a commonality: Love and passion for the game!

            Without the A.C.E.S. program I may have gone into a different direction. I have learned not to take things for granted and live each day to the fullest. To read more about this click here.

10 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog. Looking forward to your next entry. Have a great senior season. Connie Peters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie, I will post a new blog next Wednesday. I'm honored that you enjoy reading my post and that you took the time out of your day to read it.

      Thanks, for the support.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Marvin -- this is awesome! I can't believe you're a senior already. Good luck to you and your team!

    jwilliams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem with sharing at all. I'm glade you liked it. I hope you'll continue to follow because there is more to come. Time fly's by and doesn't wait for anyone. Thank you!!!

      Delete
  3. Great article, Marvin. Thanks for being a positive role model to the kids in the community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read it and yes everyone is a role model, because there is always someone watching who wants to be just like you!!

      Delete
  4. This is awesome Marv! So proud of you! Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kidist, I hope all is well and I will continue to share every Wednesday. So make sure you stay read up and awaiting for next weeks post.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Marvin. I appreciate that you stepped--or rather "rolled"--out of your comfort zone to try this. You Sid these athletes have specially designed chairs to play. I'm wondering if they have or need other special gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Drinda,
      Thank you for reading my blog. I hope maybe someday you as well can experience something in this type of community involvement as well. When I played along with them we didnt have any gear, but majority had helemts due to you being tipped out of the chair or not being to react as quick as myself would be able to getting tipped out of the chair. Also, some wear gloves to while playing to help push faster with the wheels.

      Thank you, I hope you continue to follow and I can continue to touch you as a reader.

      Delete