Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Do You Remember?

            While growing up, I followed Kevin Durant’s basketball career starting when he was playing at the University of Texas. I didn’t know how involved he was in his community until I starting reading about him and following his social media sites. I think Kevin is a compassionate family man, who puts the needs of others over his own. This is one of the main characteristics I admire about him and I hope to follow in his footsteps to make a difference.

Do you remember the tragic tornado that ripped through Oklahoma City? You may have forgotten, but Kevin Durant made sure his fans, the people of Oklahoma City and the entire state, knew he didn’t forget. He was sure to make his presence known both through volunteering his time with relief efforts and through monetary donations. While reading an article about Kevin Durant, I found out that he has donated over $1 million dollars to American Red Cross through his family’s foundation, The Kevin Durant Family Foundation, which is known to support programs such as after-school, summer, educational, and those for single-parents. Kevin showed his support through Twitter saying "Praying for the victims of the Tornadoes in OKC these last few days. Everybody stay safe!" Kevin also went out into the community and spoke to tornado victims to help keep their minds of what had just happened. He wanted to make sure that the people knew how much he cared for the community physically rather than just monetarily

Click here to see Kevin in action


              

          Durant said, “It’s an honor to play in the NBA, and I hope that I can use some of the attention given to me because of my work on the court to raise awareness and resources for the things that I know personally can make a difference in the lives of kids.”

          Kevin’s quote is definitely accurate as involvement in the community doesn’t stop in Oklahoma. He has used his reputation in the NBA to help other organizations. Kevin knows what it is like to grow up in the inner city and so now he is using his experience to help others in similar situations. His most recent project has been to partner with KIND Healthy Snacks (KIND) to launch a STRONG & KIND campaign that will help redefine what strength and kindness mean in our society.


If you’re interested in donating or reading more about Kevin’s continued efforts in the community, visit his personal website.

By helping out in your community, you may experience what is called a “Helper’s High”. This feeling will make you feel excited about volunteering in the near future. When I volunteer, I felt a sense of contentment knowing that I made in the outcome of someone else’s day. I feel blessed to know that I may have motivated someone to continue to conquer their challenges and reach for the stars. I want to become a role model for someone and it is easy to take time out of your busy schedule, even if it is just for an hour. To you this one hour may seem like passing time, but someone else, that would be the best hour of their day. In the community of Cedar Falls, my hometown of Minneapolis, and my future communities, I don’t want to just be known for my athletic ability. I want to be known for my contributions and positive influence in the community through volunteering.

   

4 comments:

  1. I spend a lot of time each year volunteering, and I understand what he means by helpers' high. Fascinating that basketball isn't the main legacy he hopes to leave. I wonder how many pro athletes would say that. Thanks for sharing Durant's story with those of us who didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshua, thanks for taking the time to read my blog. I'm very glade to know you as well enjoy giving back as much as possible. We need more people like you in the community. I hope you continue your volunteering services and stay tuned for next weeks post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what Kevin and KIND are doing with the Strong & Kind movement - very positive. Nice website too - http://strongandkind.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matthew,

    Thanks for taking the time out to read my blog. As well maybe you could introduce this to others as well. I myself love the fact KD is doing things off the court to make sure he is remembered not just for talents, but for his commitment to making others around him better.

    ReplyDelete