Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Making a Difference, One Community at a Time

This week’s post will feature one of Iowa's very own, Kyle Korver, who is originally from California, but grew up in Pella, Iowa. Kyle has done small-town Iowa proud with his basketball successes both in college and the NBA. Outside of basketball, Kyle is very active in his community, wherever he happens to call home during the NBA season. He has made a difference and I wanted to highlight some of the things he has done that have inspired me.

Kyle is the founder of Seer Outfitters, which is a clothing brand that donates 100% of the profits earned to help provide those who are wheelchair bound with a ramp and make their homes wheelchair friendly. Seer Outfitters has a blog that highlights their community involvement across the country. Kyle also has a ministry and wants to help people realize the beauty of God. Furthermore, He has also created the Kyle Korver Foundation, which was founded in 2006, when Kyle first started his NBA career with the Philadelphia 76’ers. The Foundation has hosted several coat drives throughout his career, in addition to helping throughout the community. Education is a very important area for Kyle and he has provided encouragement to area students to excel in their schoolwork and maintain good attendance. While playing with the Chicago Bulls, he partnered with the Chicago Housing Authority to implement a program for kids that would stress the importance of education. Kyle has even taken his community involvement across the country borders, sharing the love of God and his volunteering his time, for example in India during the summer of 2008. The involvement that Kyle, as well as the other NBA players I have featured, have had in their communities, have been an inspiration to me. 

In the future, I would like to start my own foundation and give back to the community I live in such a way. I myself would like to someday create my own foundation and give back to my communities, both in Minneapolis, and in a city where I hope to play in the NBA. . I would like to hold food, coat, and clothing drives at least once a month, providing the less fortunate with resources they need the most at the right time.  In addition, I would like to help children succeed in the schools by providing them with the assistance and resources they need. By providing them with the support and resources they need, we can ensure that they are able to achieve their dreams. I want them exceed expectations and surpass the statistics that say they may not leave their neighborhoods. I don’t want them to grow up thinking they can’t do anything and can’t achieve their full potentials. My idea would be to provide a resource center or community center where kids can come after school lets out to complete homework and receive help. It will also give them a safe place to hang out until their parents are done with work, instead of causing trouble or being on the streets. I think by having this available, the students would be able to avoid becoming involved in drugs, gangs, and crime by providing them with mentors, support and encouragement that they are worth more than they think, and an education. My center would have tutors available for the students to receive help on their homework if needed and it would give them a positive influence. When a person has a positive role model or influence, their perspective may change tremendously because they are receiving support and attention that they may not get at home. This center would also serve healthy food and provide some sort of fitness or activity to ensure that the children have plenty to eat and are getting their daily exercise in order to reduce the obesity rate. I encourage you to dream big and get involved in your community, big or small. It could volunteering your time as a mentor at a local school, donating cans or working a food bank, or sharing your talent. What have you done in your community? Get involved because you will realize the big difference that one person can make on their community, simply by volunteering. 

Thank you for reading this week’s post. For more information about Kyle Korver and the Kyle Korver Foundation, click here. To read more about my community involvement be sure to click here.

2 comments:

  1. Marvin, great article – better message. I've known and followed the Korver family for several years, even refereed some of Kyle's HS basketball games (he was good then too).

    I love your ongoing message of building communities and helping others. Kyle Korver is blessed with great fortune and shares it freely, a great example for you to illustrate in your article.

    We all have varying 'fortunes' and should all find ways to share what we have been given; time, talent, and treasure.

    Stay with your message, my friend. We're watching and admiring. Keep it up!

    -John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      Thank you for taking the time out to read my blog. It's a small world. I didn't know if any of my readers would personally know the Korver's. I hope you stay tuned to see what next weeks post will be about!

      Best Regards,

      Marvin Singleton

      Delete