Monday, November 10, 2014

Never Forget

This week, I'm going to share with you a story about one of Iowa's own. From Ames, Iowa, Harrison Barnes. Harrison full name is Harrison Bryce Jordan Barnes given the middle name "Jordan" after Michael Jordan, whom Barnes' mother was a big fan of. While growing up, Harrison was known as a hard worker and had much responsibility since his mother, Shirley, was a single-parent raising him and his younger sister. His mother remembers the self-motivation Harrison had while playing basketball at Ames High School. "His whole high school career, he had a handwritten sign that was taped to his mirror that said, 'Hungry and humble,'" she said. "He just always wanted to be humble." "The biggest influence to me was my mom," Barnes said. "She worked extremely hard and she believed in me."

I, personally have witnessed just how humble Harrison is while playing on the same AAU team, the Howard Pulley Panthers, a few summers ago. I would describe him as a competitive guy who is willing to do whatever it takes for his team to win. He never gives up and is willing to let you know he is all about winning, but his off the court presence was the biggest thing that stood out to me. Even though he is now an NBA basketball, he remains as humble as he did in high school or college. He was never stuck up or cocky, but just a normal guy who loves basketball.

Continuing his basketball legacy and his compassion for other people, Harrison is a example of someone who has never forgot where they came from. Shortly before the beginning of his rookie season, he took part in the Back to School Rookie Reading Rally at Sobrante Park Elementary School in Oakland. I myself have participated in a similar program here at UNI. It is a great experience and I am excited to be partaking in it again on November 13th.

            Today Harrison still considers himself as just a kid from a small town. For every home game, Harrison donates 15 tickets to the Boys and Girls Club, as a participant in this program when he was younger. He wanted to reach out to the Bay Area Boys and Girls Club, where he resides, while not forgetting about his Iowa club. He knew the impact the Boys and Girls Club had on him as a young child, so he wanted to be sure to help others receive and achieve the same benefits and opportunities he has had from the program. Harrison said "I attribute so much of who I am and what I've become to (Iowa) just because it kept me very humble," Barnes said. "It's helped me become the player I am and the person I am". Continuing his connection with the Warriors and the Boys and Girls Club, Harrison helped renovate the basketball court to ensure the kids have the best condition facilities to get better every day. Harrison was quoted saying "Maybe if I had a place like this to practice at while growing up, I would have become a better player than I am today".

Video below:

Below is a video of Harrison and kids playing and going through drills on the new court:

Knowing that someone like Harrison or myself who cares about the community in which we currently reside in almost as much as we do our hometowns is very important. Without you, there is no us. With all the love and support that is shown to basketball players, the least we can do is give our time back to ensure that we truly do care about others. We're not just basketball players, but are regular people. No matter what talent you were given, you can help to continue to build your community as well. Never let anyone discourage from being the one who is always willing to help others and get outside your comfort zone. For that someone or community involvement you participate in will go a long way.

A quote that has stuck with me for quite some time is, "I will forever remain humble because I know I could have less. I will always be grateful because I know I've had less". -Author Unknown

If you want to read more on how I personally have given back to my community click here. If you’re interested in reading more on Harrison's involvement in the Bay area or his hometown Ames click on one of the links below.





https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif


No comments:

Post a Comment