Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Introduction to My Blog



Hello!

          My name is Marvin Singleton, I am a senior student-athlete at the University of Northern Iowa. I currently play on the Men’s Basketball team here at Northern Iowa. I am majoring in Marketing with an emphasis in Advertising. I will graduate in May of 2015.

My post will discuss the reason why giving back to the community is so important. Also, how much of an influence or impact you can have on someone’s life by taking time out of your day to spend with someone who may not have the same resources or capabilities you have. Many people look up to you as a role model or person of influence who has succeeded. In several cases, people may come from an area where the percentage of someone making it out of the area or being successful is slim to none.

          In my future posts, I will be talking about how I have given back to my community and also how professional NBA players give back to their communities. I will be including ways that you can become involved in your communities as well. Because without your help building a strong community in which you reside in or in your hometown, not many people will trust you and may not like your character. Seeing someone smile or have their day made because of you should be the reason to give back to the community. Helping someone who isn’t as fortunate as you are personally should make you strive to continue making someone else’s life better. Somewhere out in the world, someone has it worse than you. Never forget where you come from.

Thank you and stay tuned for my upcoming posts!

2 comments:

  1. What a great blog Marvin. I am Larry Hellman, One of my sons is your friend Ben. Your blog was so inspiring to me that I forwarded it on to my co workers at the non profit organization I have worked at for 34 years. You have talent like none other in basketball but you also have talent in your heart! You are spot on with with your last paragraph. Can't wait to meet you and shake your hand. Good job Marvin and I will be rooting for you in your senior year. Take care and go PANTHERS!! We are all a "community". You have it my friend. You know what is important in todays world. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mr. Hellman, I have heard many stories about you from Ben. Yes we are all Steelers fans. Thank you very much sharing my blog to others and I hope I can reach them as I reached along in my story.

      It means so much to me to have someone like you take time out of your day and then for me to be able to inspire you speaks volumes. I look forward to meeting you as well.

      Best Regards,

      Delete